11 February 1956:
The Historical Association of South Africa was officially established in the City Hall in Pretoria.
24 February 1956:
A formal establishment conference was held.
First issue of Historia was published.
4-5 October 1956:
First congress held in Pretoria.
First issue of Historia Junior was published. Historia Junior was aimed at cultivating an interest in history among primary and high school learners. Yesterday and Today replaced Historia Junior. It was published by the Association from 1981 until 1985 when it was taken over by the South African Society for History Teaching.
Start of biennial conferences.
The Historical Association of South Africa turned 50.
The Association has as its main objective the furtherance of history as a discipline in particular the study and understanding of the history of South Africa, by means of the following:
- the encouragement of history as a subject in South African universities, colleges of education and schools;
- the improvement of the quality of the teaching of History as a subject generally;
- the development and awareness of the importance of History;
- by publishing historical journals/magazines;
- by publishing any other publications of a historical nature and by supporting the publishing of historical material;
- by collecting historical documents and archival material and depositing them to the relevant South African archives;
- by promoting historical documents and archival material and depositing them to the relevant South African archives;
- by promoting historical museums through collecting relevant pieces for the museums;
- by co-operating with statutory bodies and other institutions involved with the preservation or restoration of historical artefacts (and articles); and
- by working together with other organisations to promote common ideals.
1955 – 1975: J.J. van Tonder
1976 – 1977: G.A. Chadwick
1978 – 1985: F.A. van Jaarsveld
1985 – 2011: J.S. Bergh
2011 – to present: K.L. Harris
For a more complete history and analysis of the past 50 years’ activities of the Historical Association of South Africa, consult the article by Pieter Kapp “Sinvol of Sinister? Die Historiese Genootskap van Suid-Afrika Vyftig Jaar oud” in Historia 51(2), November 2006.